Water Polo: Two Wins for CHS Girls and CIF Playoffs is Next

Senior Sheila Tomlin blocks Cathedral Catholic’s Cap #10 to win 9-7. Photo by Ana de la Lama

Last Monday, the Islander Girls’ Water Polo team hosted Cathedral Catholic High School, while also celebrating their graduating seniors on “Senior Night.” With high energy from the stands, the Islanders played primarily at Cathedral’s goal, collectively having over thirty attempts to score. Of those attempts, team captain Grace Harbaugh made two of them inside the goal in the first quarter. At the half, Coronado had scored four more goals to carry a slight lead at 6-5. The Islanders were unable to score in the third quarter, allowing their opponents to tie them at 6-6, but they quickly recuperated in the fourth. Two goals by senior Sheila Tomlin and one by senior Reese Oliver gave them the victory, 9-7.

Congratulations to the following seniors for their dedication to the Girls’ Varsity Water Polo team: #2 Danni Croteau, #3 Abby Sylvester, #7 Reese Oliver, #8 Ryan Sund, #10 Sheila Tomlin, #15 Ellie Brownlee, #20 Grace Harbaugh, and team manager Joie Nunnelly.

The following Wednesday, the Islanders hosted La Jolla High School for a high-scoring game. At the end of the first quarter, Coronado took a significant 4-0 lead. Excellent goaltending by Michelle Croteau kept La Jolla out of the goal, having three saves in the first quarter and a total of nine throughout the game. The Islanders were only able to score twice (goals by Tomlin and senior Ryan Sund) to maintain a 6-3 lead. Sund and Tomlin were the Islanders’ top scorers, with four and three goals, respectively. In a strong finish, Coronado scored eight more goals in the second half to win 14-7.

-Advertisement-

With a 7-12 season record, the team heads into CIF Open Division Playoffs next Thursday.

Upcoming Game:

Thursday, February 7 vs. Valhalla High School (CIF Playoffs) at Coggan Aquatic Center (La Jolla, CA) @ 6:30 PM

Get breaking Coronado news in your inbox >> SUBSCRIBE

Avatar
Andres is a student at Coronado High School. He was a part of the KCMS Broadcast Journalism program in middle school, giving him experience in the fields of both filmmaking and news coverage. Now writing for the high school newspaper and The Coronado Times, Andres aspires to become a writer in the future and will study philosophy and creative writing after he graduates. Have news to share? Send tips, story ideas or letters to the editor to: manager@coronadotimes.com