Tennis: CHS Boys Defeat Mira Mesa Handily, 15-3

Line 1 Singles Ryan Wood sets up a topspin forehand against Mira Mesa High School to win the match 15-3. Photo by Ana de la Lama

On Monday, April 1, the Islander Boys’ Varsity Tennis team made up a previously rained-out match against Saints High School. Coming back from their spring break, they had the first round of sets completed and were down 1-5. The Islanders struggled to come back from this deficit after picking up the second round. At Line 1 Singles, sophomore Isaac Del Rincon defeated Saints’ Line 3 in a close 7-5 set. His last set proved to be even closer against their Line 2 player, as Del Rincon lost in a tiebreaker, 6-7. Moving up from doubles, senior Jake Lamb played Line 2 Singles for the Islanders to “bagel” (6-0) Saints’ Line 3 Singles player.

On the doubles side, Santiago Gonzalez/Ryan Wood (Line 1) took all three of their sets. The first set against their Line 1 proved to be extremely close, as this set also went to a tiebreaker; however, Gonzalez/Wood only gave up two points in the tiebreaker to take the set, 7-6. They won their last two sets handily, 6-0 and 6-1. Unfortunately, these were the only wins in the doubles lineup, resulting in a tough 5-13 loss against Saints.

The next day, Tuesday (4/2), the team hosted Mira Mesa High School for a confidence-boosting match. The Islanders had previously destroyed Mira Mesa, 16-2, and they came very close to this score again. Wood moved up from Line 1 Doubles to Line 1 Singles to play some of his best tennis of the season. He won his first two sets in “bagels” and was then up against a tough Line 3 Singles player, who had defeated Coronado’s other two singles players. With incredible forehand-winners and dropshots from the baseline, Wood pulled out a 6-1 victory to win all three of his sets. Del Rincon (Line 2) took two silver sets (losing only one point), but lost to their Line 3 player, 3-6. Nicholas Rios similarly won two easy sets (6-1 and 6-0), losing to the Line 3, 4-6.

-Advertisement-

In a complete sweep, the doubles lineup did not give up a single set against Mira Mesa. At Line 1, Gonzalez/Alan Corrales won in straight sets: 6-2, 6-1, and a close 7-5 set. Jake Lamb/Andres de la Lama (Line 2 Doubles) “bageled” both of the sets they played, until they were subbed in by Nathaniel Nelson/Chris Fisher, who defeated their Line 1 team, 6-4. Tye Murray/Mauricio Rivero (Line 3 Doubles) dropped the first set of the match to their Line 3, 4-6, but took the following two sets to win the match 15-3.

The Islanders finished their week on Thursday (4/4) at Scripps Ranch High School to play them for the second time this season. Having previously lost to them, 7-11, this match proved to be even closer. The Islanders struggled on the singles lineup, as Del Rincon (Line 2) took Coronado’s only two wins in easy 6-2 sets. However, the doubles lineup showed a much stronger performance. Lamb/de la Lama (Line 1) and Gonzalez/Wood (Line 2) won all three sets, but Murray/Rivero (Line 3) were not able to pull any sets. This left Coronado one set behind tying Scripps Ranch and potentially winning in games as a tiebreaker. Scripps Ranch defeated the Islanders 8-10.

Upcoming Match:

Thursday, April 11 vs. La Jolla High School @ 3:30 PM (Away)

Get breaking Coronado news in your inbox >> SUBSCRIBE

Avatar
Andres is a student at Coronado High School. He was a part of the KCMS Broadcast Journalism program in middle school, giving him experience in the fields of both filmmaking and news coverage. Now writing for the high school newspaper and The Coronado Times, Andres aspires to become a writer in the future and will study philosophy and creative writing after he graduates. Have news to share? Send tips, story ideas or letters to the editor to: manager@coronadotimes.com