Cops and Robbers: Threats and Gift Card Fraud via Phone (2/23/19-2/27/19)

Thanks to the Coronado Police Department for providing The Coronado Times with the below information (partial list):

Crimes:

2/26/19: Obtaining Money by False Pretenses near 800 block of Orange Avenue

Victim received a text message from an unknown number claiming to be her pastor. The suspect stated that he was in the hospital and asked the victim to send him $500 on a Google Play card for a friend. The victim used $500 in cash to purchase the card and sent the card information via text. When the suspect asked for two more $500 gift cards, the clerk advised her that the call was a scam.

-Advertisement-

2/26/19: Shoplifting near 800 block of Orange Avenue

Four suspects entered Vons and selected various bottles of wine and liquor over a six-minute period. They concealed the bottles in large bags and shopping carts and exited the store without paying for them. The total monetary loss is unknown.

2/24/19-2/25/19: Burglary of the Second Degree near 700 block of Orange Avenue

Victim reported that an unknown suspect broke the front passenger window of her green 2015 Subaru Outback and took her black backpack from the front passenger’s floorboard. Victim valued the backpack and its contents at about $500.

2/24/19: Malicious Mischief/Vandalism (Misdemeanor) near 2000 block of Mullinix Drive

Unknown suspect used black marker to vandalize the soap dispenser in the men’s restroom at Tidelands Park.

2/24/19: Repeated Phone Calls to Residence near 700 block of Orange Avenue

Victim reported she had been receiving various unusual text messages from her daughter’s phone, miscellaneous calls, and dropped calls for the past two months.

2/24/19: Criminal Threats near 1700 block of Visalia Row

Subject threatened to kill victim “with her two hands” over a voicemail.

Arrests:

2/27/19: Outside Warrant on Felony Charge – Felony near 800 block of San Luis Rey Avenue

50 year old male

2/26/19: Possession of Controlled Substance – Misdemeanor near 400 block of Orange Avenue

31 year old male

2/23/19: Taking Vehicle Without Owner’s Consent – Felony near 1100 block of First Street

27 year old male

Get breaking Coronado news in your inbox >> SUBSCRIBE

Avatar
Andres is a student at Coronado High School. He was a part of the KCMS Broadcast Journalism program in middle school, giving him experience in the fields of both filmmaking and news coverage. Now writing for the high school newspaper and The Coronado Times, Andres aspires to become a writer in the future and will study philosophy and creative writing after he graduates. Have news to share? Send tips, story ideas or letters to the editor to: manager@coronadotimes.com