1/4 cup olive oil
5-6 cloves garlic
Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
Pinch or two crushed red pepper to taste (depending on spice desired)
2 lbs beef steak stew meat
2 lbs small multi color potatoes (I like the mini medley or fingerling), cut into one inch pieces
1 lg sweet yellow onion, chopped
3/4 lbs carrots, washed and cut into one inch pieces (can use multi color; I often use baby carrots)
3/4 lbs mushrooms, sliced
1 qt organic beef broth
1 qt organic mushroom broth
- Salt and pepper beef well
- Sauté all ingredients together starting with the olive oil, onions, garlic, crushed red pepper, mushrooms and beef
- Continue to sauté until meat is browned and onions are tender.
- Add potatoes, carrots, sauté for several minutes, add greens if you are using them and continue to sauté
- Add beef broth and mushroom broth, bring to a low boil, turn heat to low and let simmer at low heat for at least one to two hours. * The longer it simmers the more flavorful and tender the meat will be.
Add a couple handfuls of greens (kale, arugula, green, red chard, baby spinach mix or your choice). If I have hearty greens in the fridge I’ll throw in a few handfuls for an extra vitamin boost and great flavor but they are not necessary for this recipe.
Add a little soy sauce to taste as it’s cooking. Soy sauce adds beautiful color and the perfect salt balance. You can also add a little Sriracha for an extra spicy kick.
You can use the potatoes as a natural thickening agent by crushing a few as the stew cooks to create a thicker heartier stew.
Serve with a nice salad and warm crusty bread, enjoy!