This salad is a great side dish or can be a meal in itself. It’s full of antioxidants and makes for wonderful food prep on the go. Every time I prepare it for a party or event I get multiple requests for the recipe. I hope you enjoy it as well.
10 oz kale, chopped
1/2 cup grated carrots
1/2 cup thinly shredded red cabbage
4 oz pomegranate seeds
1 handful dried cranberries (sweetened)
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 apple, chopped (I like fuji or gala)
4-5 ounces goat cheese
1 sm/med roasted butternut squash, cubed (click here for recipe)
Sea salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
2 TBS elderberry balsamic vinegar
2 TBS pear balsamic vinegar
4 TBS lemon extra virgin olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients for vinaigrette and set aside.
Pre-cook butternut squash as directed above, set aside to cool.
In a large bowl mix all salad ingredients together.
Toss vinaigrette with salad, add fresh ground pepper to taste and place in fridge or just set aside for 30 minutes or so to wilt the kale (this softens the kale so it is not too chewy).
Garnish with extra fruit, goat cheese and walnuts.
Variations & Tips:
– You can buy pre-chopped kale, carrot, cabbage blends.
– Shaved Brussels sprouts are also a great addition.
– Great for meal prep because it only gets better and better as the vinaigrette wilts the kale and the salad absorbs the flavors.
– Many fruit based vinaigrettes work well with this salad and with so many wonderful balsamic vinegars to choose from you can create your favorite.
– Olive oil with fresh lemons and fresh clementines creates a wonderful dressing as well.
From my home to yours, enjoy!