Water Polo: CHS Girls Advance to Semifinals of CIF Playoffs

Last Thursday, the Islander Girls’ Water Polo team played in the CIF Open-Division Playoffs at La Jolla High School. Coronado (No. 3 Seed) was scheduled to play Valhalla High School (No. 6 Seed) for a what resulted in an easy first round. Taking an early 5-0 lead, the Islanders kept the ball away from their own goal and persisted in offensive play. Senior Reese Oliver scored three goals in the first quarter, while seniors Ryan Sund and Grace Harbaugh each scored one. In the second quarter, both goalkeepers managed to prevent either team from scoring. Freshman Michelle Croteau had three saves in the second quarter and a total of seven throughout the game.

The Islanders went in comfortably to the second half, as Valhalla had not scored. Oliver scored the first goal of the third quarter, followed by senior Sheila Tomlin and Harbaugh, to maintain an 8-1 lead. Tomlin scored one more goal before the end of the fourth, and sophomore Paula Martinez scored her first goal of the season with two minutes left in the game. The final score read 10-2, which means Coronado will face Carlsbad High School (No. 2 Seed) in the semi-finals of the CIF Playoffs.

Upcoming Game:

Wednesday, February 13 vs. Carlsbad High School (CIF Playoffs) at La Jolla High School @ 8 PM

-Advertisement-
Get breaking Coronado news in your inbox >> SUBSCRIBE

Avatar
Andres is a student at Coronado High School. He was a part of the KCMS Broadcast Journalism program in middle school, giving him experience in the fields of both filmmaking and news coverage. Now writing for the high school newspaper and The Coronado Times, Andres aspires to become a writer in the future and will study philosophy and creative writing after he graduates. Have news to share? Send tips, story ideas or letters to the editor to: manager@coronadotimes.com