Water Polo: CHS Girls Take One Big Win, One Close Loss

On Wednesday, January 2, the Islander Girls’ Water Polo team defeated Westview High School for their fourth win of the season. The first quarter of the game was all momentum for the Islanders, as they took an early lead of 5-1. The Islanders scored four more goals by the end of the half, and goalkeeper Michelle Croteau kept Westview out of the Islanders’ goal with three saves. Coronado took their opponents to the goal for the duration of the third quarter, with eight more goals. The final score read 18-9. The top scorers for the Islanders were seniors Reese Oliver and Ryan Sund, who scored five goals each.

The following Wednesday, January 9, Coronado traveled to Bishop’s for a much closer game. With two goals in the first quarter—scored by Sund and senior Grace Harbaugh—Bishop’s held a one-goal lead at 2-3, but it was tied at the end of the half, 4-4. The Islanders scored two more goals in the third quarter, falling short in the fourth, as Bishop’s won 6-8.

The team’s current record is 4 wins to 8 losses.

Upcoming Games:
  • Monday, January 14 vs. Cathedral Catholic High School @ 3:30 PM (Away)
  • Wednesday, January 16 vs. La Jolla High School at the BBMAC @ 5:00 PM
  • Friday, January 18 – America’s Finest City Tournament at the BBMAC

Get breaking Coronado news in your inbox >> SUBSCRIBE

Andres is a student at Coronado High School. He was a part of the KCMS Broadcast Journalism program in middle school, giving him experience in the fields of both filmmaking and news coverage. Now writing for the high school newspaper and The Coronado Times, Andres aspires to become a writer in the future and will study philosophy and creative writing after he graduates. Have news to share? Send tips, story ideas or letters to the editor to: manager@coronadotimes.com