Tennis: CHS Girls Undefeated in Western League

Line 2 Doubles Olivia Strong (with Sinaia Haskal) hits a forehand slice against the Point Loma Pointers. Photo by Ana de la Lama

This past week, the Islanders’ Varsity Tennis team took two easy wins against Point Loma and Scripps Ranch High Schools. Tuesday’s match against the Point Loma Pointers resulted in an 18-0 shutout. “We had solid play from our singles players, Summer Vu, Lily Vu, Ana de la Lama, and Elsa Östermarker, while their teammates on the doubles side completely smothered the Pointers with attacking net play,” shares Coach Rob Moore.

Thursday evening, the Islanders hosted Scripps Ranch for their second win against them this season. Previously, Scripps’ Line 1 Doubles team had swept all of Coronado’s doubles teams. “This time around, we blanked that team with the outstanding play of Ellie Johnson/Samantha Russell winning 6-4, Alejandra Gonzalez/Marla Steel 6-2, and Olivia Strong/Sinaia Haskal 7-5,” says Coach Moore. On the singles side, Lily Vu played hard against their Line 2 Singles and won 6-2, “most likely the best match of the season thus far by Lily.” The final score tallied up to 17-1.

Ellie Johnson and Samantha Russell defeat Scripps Ranch High School’s Line 1 Doubles, 6-4. Photo by Ana de la Lama

The girls’ varsity team is now 9-0 in Western League matches and 12-2 in the season overall. They are also currently ranked third in the CIF San Diego Section power rankings, behind Canyon Crest and Bishop’s. “Next week concludes league play and the Islanders are almost certain to host a first-round opponent in the Open Division during the week of October 22nd,” comments Coach Moore.

Upcoming Match:

Tuesday, October 16 vs. Academy of Our Lady of Peace at Balboa Tennis Club @ 3:30 PM

Get breaking Coronado news in your inbox >> SUBSCRIBE

Andres is a student at Coronado High School. He was a part of the KCMS Broadcast Journalism program in middle school, giving him experience in the fields of both filmmaking and news coverage. Now writing for the high school newspaper and The Coronado Times, Andres aspires to become a writer in the future and will study philosophy and creative writing after he graduates. Have news to share? Send tips, story ideas or letters to the editor to: manager@coronadotimes.com