Thanksgiving is a time to be thankful and spend quality time with family. It’s also a time to enjoy some delicious meals. From turkey to mashed potatoes, the possibilities are endless.
Mix things up this Thanksgiving with a healthy new side dish on behalf of the Mindful Café at Sharp Coronado Hospital. This spotlight-worthy dish is packed with flavor and nutrients — mixing hearty Brussels sprouts with antioxidant-rich sweet potatoes and butternut squash. Top off this recipe with a delicious balsamic reduction.
Roasted Fall Vegetables With Balsamic Reduction
Fresh sage adds even more fall flavor.
Yields 5 servings
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup butternut squash, diced
- 15 Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- Heat oven to 450° F. In a large sauté pan over medium-high, heat the oil. Arrange Brussels sprouts cut side down on the left side of the pan. Add sweet potatoes and butternut squash to the right side of pan. Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring the squash and sweet potatoes only, halfway through cooking.
- Transfer vegetables to an oven-safe pan, and place in oven for 15 to 20 minutes (until sweet potatoes are soft), rotating once halfway through cooking.
- In a small pot, bring balsamic vinegar to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the vinegar reduces down to 1/3 cup (about 15 minutes). When reduced, the vinegar should slowly drip down the back of a spoon.
- Layer a serving plate with fresh spinach, and top with roasted vegetables. Drizzle with balsamic reduction and sprinkle with sage, salt and pepper.
For more delicious meals, visit the Mindful Café at Sharp Coronado Hospital. The café offers a selection of healthy recipes and balanced nutrition seven days a week. This November, the Mindful Café will be taking preorders for Thanksgiving meals and pies to help make your holiday a little easier. Stop by the café to pick up your order form now through Tuesday, Nov. 26 or email Manisha.Desai@sodexo.com.
Chef Meghan Bowen is the executive chef at the Mindful Café at Sharp Coronado Hospital.