Golf: CHS Boys Finish Season with Two Wins

Junior Matt Schnappauf drives the ball against La Jolla High School to win the match 197-198. Photo by Ana de la Lama

On Monday, April 15 the Islander Boys’ Golf team traveled to Torrey Pines Golf Course to play Scripps Ranch High School for the second time this season. Having previously beaten them 202-225 at home, the team went in confidently and pulled through with their fourth win of the season. Leading the Islanders was freshman Jake McLaughlin, who finished the course in 40 strokes and was named Medalist of the Match (shooting the lowest score of both teams). Freshman Easton Phillips followed two strokes behind, shooting a score of 42 strokes. Juniors Javier Hernandez, Matt Schnappauf, and Gino Frederick contributed to Coronado’s victory with respective scores of 45, 48, and 50 strokes. “On very, very firm greens, we defeated Scripps Ranch 225-237,” shares Coach Stuart Gordon.

The following Wednesday, Coronado faced La Jolla High School at home. As the final match of the season, the Islanders knew how to leave it out on the course. McLaughlin shot one of his best scores of the season (36), followed by Phillips and senior Saul Chacon, both of whom finished in 39 strokes. Hernandez shot a great game with a score of 40, while Frederick and Schnappauf finished off the match with respective scores of 43 and 49 strokes. Coach Gordon comments, “This was our best performance of the season,” as the Islanders took one final win, 197-198.

The golf’s team season record was five wins to eleven losses.

-Advertisement-

Get breaking Coronado news in your inbox >> SUBSCRIBE

Avatar
Andres is a student at Coronado High School. He was a part of the KCMS Broadcast Journalism program in middle school, giving him experience in the fields of both filmmaking and news coverage. Now writing for the high school newspaper and The Coronado Times, Andres aspires to become a writer in the future and will study philosophy and creative writing after he graduates. Have news to share? Send tips, story ideas or letters to the editor to: manager@coronadotimes.com