Today I’m bringing you back to Italy with our family’s lasagna recipe.
This recipe has been passed down through the family forever. I was taught the recipe by Uncle Hank, he was taught by his mother and she was taught by hers. It’s truly a family favorite in my home, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
• Mary’s Marinara Sauce http://coronadopersonalchef.com/sauce
• 2 1/2 pounds Ricotta Cheese
• 2 lg bundles of Spinach – Steam, drain, chop and set aside
• 1 bundle of Parsley – Rinse, chop and set aside (save a small amount for garnish)
• 1 lg Eggplant sliced thin, dipped in egg then dredged in flour
• 3 Tbs Olive Oil
• One White Onion, chopped – Saute onions until tender, set aside
• 1 pound Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
• 1 pound Shredded Parmesan Cheese
• Sea Salt & Fresh ground pepper to taste
• Oregano (just a dash)
• Two boxes of Lasagna pasta noodles – cook using the instructions on the package, cook them until they are al dente, drain and set aside
• Mix Ricotta cheese, drained chopped Spinach, Parsley, Oregano and onions in a large bowl, salt and pepper to taste, then set aside until needed.
• Heat your Olive Oil in a skillet until hot but not smoking, fry your floured eggplant in oil until golden and set aside.
Now comes the fun part, it’s time to layer.
In a large baking dish layer your Noodles, a thin amount of your Marinara Sauce, Browned Eggplant, Ricotta Mixture (making sure you completely cover with the cheese mixture), and a thin layer of the Marinara. Repeat the process then double the noodle layer over the top and fold over sides to create a nice shell. Pour a little sauce over the top and sprinkle with Mozzarella, Parmesan cheese and a bit of chopped parsley. Bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for about an hour or until golden and bubbly. Serve with a little Marinara Sauce over each portion and sprinkle with a bit of Parmesan cheese, enjoy!
If you would like to make this a meat lasagna you can replace the eggplant with browned Italian sausage or use both ingredients to have a wonderful combination of flavors.
Please see my website for more recipes.