Lacrosse: CHS Boys Beat Kingwood High School in Overtime

#12 Teddy Hendrickson passes the ball against Kingwood High School to win 6-5. Photo by Ana de la Lama

The Islander Boys’ Varsity Lacrosse team kicked off their season on Friday night (3/8), hosting Kingwood High School from Houston, TX. In the first half of the game, Kingwood was gaining momentum on offense, scoring five goals. Fortunately for the Islanders, this was completely turned around in the second half with a defensive shut-out on their opponents. With fifteen saves by senior Joe Walsh in goal, Coronado’s offensive could take the field. Sophomore Reese Packard scored two goals, while freshman Neil Capin, sophomore Daniel Bell, and junior Devin Schulte each scored one by the end of the second half to go up 5-5. The Islanders would now go into overtime. With Walsh in goal and a strong defense, junior Casey Harris scored the winning goal to take a 6-5 victory.

“Winning in overtime is never easy to do and is all about character and belief,” shares Coach Alex Cade. “If those are our strengths this early in the year it will be a successful season.”

Upcoming Games:
  • Tuesday, March 12 vs. St. Mark’s School of Texas at Niedermeyer Field @ 4:00 PM
  • Thursday, March 14 vs. Phillips Academy, Andover at Niedermeyer Field @ 7:00 PM

Get breaking Coronado news in your inbox >> SUBSCRIBE

Avatar
Andres is a student at Coronado High School. He was a part of the KCMS Broadcast Journalism program in middle school, giving him experience in the fields of both filmmaking and news coverage. Now writing for the high school newspaper and The Coronado Times, Andres aspires to become a writer in the future and will study philosophy and creative writing after he graduates. Have news to share? Send tips, story ideas or letters to the editor to: manager@coronadotimes.com