At an elegant event last week, Marriott Coronado Island revealed several luxurious updates to their waterfront property. Local VIPS and members of the media were offered a tour of the property as well as tastes of the food and drinks available in their newly renovated spa and Wellness Center. The Coronado Times was invited to check it out on behalf of our readers, and I can say honestly that I was impressed and delighted by all that our local Marriott has to offer.
Completed in May 2016, the scope of the renovation includes the redesign of 300 guestrooms including 263 standard rooms and 27 suites and villas, the resort’s reception and registration areas, the introduction of The Spa at Coronado Island, and new state-of-the-art Wellness Center, as well as nine sport courts. The property is truly lovely, and in my opinion the fresh new looks of the spa and Wellness Center make it hot competition for the Hotel Del Coronado.
The Marriot’s new luxury spa, Wellness Center, and re-imagined guest rooms emphasize the “Art Of Living Well” through a refreshed focus on nutrition, exercise, stress reduction, and reflection. They are now welcoming the public (that means you, Coronado locals!) to enjoy the complete expansion and renovation, including the addition of a 5,500 square-foot luxury spa and two-story 6,000 square-foot wellness center.
Hotel General Manager, Nusrat Mirza, says the transformation opens a gateway to a whole island of activities for health, exploration, and fun.
“Wellness is embraced throughout the entire property, and we are thrilled to re-introduce our seaside escape and its new holistic approach to our guests,” said Mirza last week. “Offering all of the relaxation and amenities of a luxury spa and wellness retreat without the intimidation, our refreshed focus offers guests an approachable hybrid between a spa getaway and a quick, refreshing vacation.”
The hotel certainly does that. My husband and I walk past the Marriott all the time with our kids and dog, as our home is just half a mile away, but we’ve never taken a look inside. We were duly impressed with the gorgeous new facilities, and we began to talk about taking a romantic getaway the next time our parents come to visit and watch our kids. With the view of the bay and the sparkling downtown lights, the brand new spa and workout areas, the dozens of options for exercise classes and yoga by the bay, and the relaxing and refreshing new rooms, we were charmed.
Inspired by its seaside location, the new design captures true tranquility, comfort and relaxation through coastal hues, chic new spaces, and conscious cuisine. Well-being is integrated throughout the entire property, with new offerings and amenities including:
- World-Class Spa – With a focus just as much on healing therapy as indulgent services, The Spa at Coronado Island emphasizes the healing benefits of the sea and includes 3,500 square feet of indoor space and 2,000 square feet of outdoor space, featuring 10 treatment rooms, a co-ed relaxation room, outdoor spa garden, men’s and women’s locker rooms with steam rooms, and a manicure and pedicure salon. I especially loved the relaxation room (pictured below), and the delicious Bento box meal options and refreshing “spa-tini” cocktail that the Marriott staff have developed especially for this spa and its health-conscious guests.
- Wellness Center – Naturally lit, the new 6,000 square-foot two-story Wellness Center features a smart array of equipment, direct access to fresh air programming, fitness classes and special events for members and groups, a movement studio, a lap pool, and a total of nine attached sport courts–three tennis courts, one basketball court, one multipurpose court, and four pickleball courts. The space was cool and refreshing on a hot summer afternoon, and the rooms gleamed with brand new, state-of-the-art equipment.
- Renovated Guest Rooms – With a relaxing coastal nature design, upgraded guest rooms offer a rejuvenating spa-like experience. Each spacious room boasts a balcony, oversized tub and walk-in shower, premium Thann bath products, and cozy robes. The unparalleled views from the rooms overlook the bay, downtown San Diego, and the Coronado Bridge.
- Personalized Fitness Classes – Tailored to individual needs, daily and weekly program classes are available for resort guests and members. Experiences can be joined as often or little as each guest chooses, with options for daily group classes or private one-on-one sessions for a more custom approach.
- Conscious Cuisine – Led by Executive Chef Michael Poompan, the resort’s new culinary program is based on key nutritional and dietary requirements and the relationship between food and its ability to impact physical and mental energy. Healthy dining options are available throughout the resort, including in its menu options for meetings and events, as well as the Spa at Coronado Island where guests can create their own Wellness Bento Box. These nutrient packed boxes can be customized with an array of different sides, proteins, healthy sandwiches and entrées; the Spa Menu also features pitaya bowls and cold pressed juices. My husband and I had a chance to try the delicious salads and tuna poke available from the Bento boxes, and I would go to the spa again just to eat that delicious, fresh food!
- Focus on Nature – To encourage the power of positive experiences and outdoor activities, the property offers: beach walks, meditation, outdoor still meditation, stress-less-stepping, liquid yoga, sunrise and sunset beach yoga. With large swaths of green grass overlooking the bay, as well as the Marriott’s lovely Wellness Center facilities, it would be hard to find a prettier place in Coronado to work up a sweat!
- Modern Technologies – New facilities use all LED lighting in renovated rooms, significantly reducing electricity usage throughout the resort. Each guest room features uninterrupted high speed Internet, 12-16 easily accessible USB and electrical outlets, and Internet TV, allowing access to personal Netflix and Hulu accounts.
Overall, I found the Marriott’s new renovations to be tasteful, creative, and relaxing. Everything I sampled or saw was world-class, clearly put together by a thoughtful staff who appreciates all that Coronado has to offer and desires to share that with locals as well as visitors. I look forward to returning to enjoy the spa and Wellness Center more personally, or perhaps booking my own getaway in beautiful Coronado!