American women typically wear a size 8 – 12. While some stores consider 12 a plus size, others consider it 14. If you are a plus size, you know how confusing the size number maze can be. Just because a 16 fits at one store or in one style doesn’t mean it will in another.
With that in mind, here are some ideas on how to shop for clothes that look terrific on you.
How to Find Your ‘Perfect Fit’
Shopping for clothes can be a frustrating experience if you don’t know your size. The right size clothing for your body, however, isn’t that hard to find if you follow a few simple tricks.
- Find a good fit. Sizes vary from store to store, so try not to get caught up in the tag numbers. Instead, pay attention to how the clothing feels when you wear it. Does it feel comfortable? Does it fit well on the shoulders and around the waist?
- Remember that not all clothing is created equal. Some brands run small while others run large. So, if you ever have any doubts about the size and fit of clothes you like at a store, always try them on before purchasing. It’s the only way to be sure that you’re getting the right size.
- Focus on loose, rather than tight clothing. Go for flowing outfits rather than snugly fitting ones. For example, plus size flowy tops are excellent for a variety of reasons. Tops like these can make you feel beautiful and confident because they are flattering for different body types.
Complete Your New Look With the Right Accessories
Accessories can elevate an outfit from good to great. You can use them to add color, texture, and pattern. They will accent your sense of style and taste.
The pieces you choose can help you dress up or down, depending on the look you’re going for with your outfit. For instance, wearing heels with jeans and a tee can help you dress up, while a scarf can help you dress down by adding a touch of warmth and interest to an everyday blazer.
Accessories can also be practical. A carefully selected belt can cinch in a loose dress while sunglasses can shield your eyes on a bright day. So think of them as versatile trifles that can make a significant impact on the look of your outfit. Next time you’re getting dressed, grab a few key accessories to complete your look.
How To Find a Quality Plus Size Clothing Brand
There are several ways to locate a quality plus size clothing brand:
- Ask. Sometimes you can get the most helpful fashion advice from friends, family, and co-workers.
- Read. Peruse online reviews or check out plus size fashion blogs to see what brands people rave about.
- Research. After you’ve compiled a list of potential brands by asking and reading, research them. Visit the websites of the brands on your list to see if they offer the type of clothing you want. Pay attention to the quality of the clothing and ensure that the sizes listed on the website match your own measurements.
Ready to Shop?
Visit a brand’s websites or look for their labels in stores to see if they offer the style of clothing you’re looking for. Next, make sure you understand the return policy. Before making a purchase, ask about return policies. Also, be sure to keep your receipts in a place where you can easily find them so that you’ll be able to return a product that doesn’t fit or look as wonderful as you expected.