CHS Competition Cheer Wins JAMZ Nationals Championship in Las Vegas (video)

Last weekend, the CHS Competition Cheer team traveled to Las Vegas for the JAMZ Nationals Championship. Prior to this competition, the team competed in the State Championships in Bakersfield, CA to qualify for the tournament in Vegas. Taking first place at the state level, this put them in good position in the Varsity Coed Division-II pool.

In this pool, the Islanders competed against six teams, including the defending champion Juan Diego High School from Utah. Two of the other top competitors in their pool were Brighton High School (from Utah) and Ponderosa High School (from Sacramento), both of whom scored very close to Coronado.

-Advertisement-

Over the two-day competition, the Islanders performed a very “flashy routine” among a group of skillfully synced teams. “The difference really came down to the amazing performance and energy of our athletes,” says Coach Casey Popp. “Tumbling, stunts, baskets, and pyramids are so close in difficulty at a national level.” According to Coach Popp, it comes down to showmanship and crowd appeal, which the team fully displayed last weekend.

Congratulations to the Islander Competition Cheer team for this amazing achievement!

Get breaking Coronado news in your inbox >> SUBSCRIBE

Avatar
Andres is a student at Coronado High School. He was a part of the KCMS Broadcast Journalism program in middle school, giving him experience in the fields of both filmmaking and news coverage. Now writing for the high school newspaper and The Coronado Times, Andres aspires to become a writer in the future and will study philosophy and creative writing after he graduates. Have news to share? Send tips, story ideas or letters to the editor to: manager@coronadotimes.com