Blue Bridge Hospitality is doing their part to reduce the amount of plastic product used at our restaurants and make #oceanfriendly a top priority. Stake Chophouse, Maretalia Ristorante, and Leroy’s Kitchen + Lounge have all been recognized by the Surfrider Foundation as a Platinum Level partner for our commitment to making #sustainable choices for our ocean.
Meeting all ten requirements, Surfrider Foundation Recognized these restaurants as Ocean Friendly Restaurants. Plastic pollution is suffocating our ocean and the many animals that call it home. Researchers estimate there are now over 5.25 trillion pieces of plastic in the ocean with the number continuing to grow every day. This pollution is impacting our marine ecosystems, wildlife such as seabirds, dolphins, fish, and turtles, and plastic fragments are even displacing plankton at the base of the food chain. So what’s the best way to combat this global epidemic facing our ocean? It’s simple: we need to stop the problem at its source! The Surfrider Foundation’s Ocean Friendly Restaurants program does just that. One restaurant, one customer at a time, increases awareness, drives change in behavior and ultimately creates scalable impact to reduce our plastic (and water!) footprint.
- No expanded polystyrene use (aka Styrofoam).
- Proper recycling practices are followed.
- Only reusable tableware is used for onsite dining, and disposable utensils for takeout food are provided only upon request.
- No plastic bags offered for takeout or to-go orders.
- Plastic straws are provided only upon request.
- No beverages sold in plastic bottles.
- Discount is offered for customers with a reusable cup, mug, bag, etc.
- Vegetarian/vegan food options are offered on a regular basis; and / or all seafood must be a ‘Best Choice’ or ‘Good Alternative’ as defined by Seafood Watch or certified as sustainable.
- Water conservation efforts, such as low-flow faucets and toilets, are implemented.
- Energy efficiency efforts such as LED lighting and Energy Star appliances are in place.
Recently, BBH hosted Surfrider’s production team to be the backdrop of their upcoming national campaign and commercial. Selected as two of the six restaurants in San Diego, Blue Bridge Hospitality restaurants offered sustainable and specialty products. Video commercial to be available later this year. Excited to put Coronado on the map for doing our part.
Blue Bridge Hospitality is not stopping there.
As a company wide-initiative, we have started to remove the use of plastic straws and only offering them by request.
Village Pizzeria, Lil Piggy’s Bar-B-Q, West Pac Noodle Bar, Candela’s and Mootime Creamery