Sunday, August 9, 2020

“Dream It, Be It” Event Sparks Opportunities for Young Women

Soroptimist Dream It, Be ItIf She can Dream It, She Can Be It is a new program of the Soroptimist International of the Americas. According to their website, “Soroptimist is a global women’s organization whose members volunteer to improve the lives of women and girls through programs leading to social and economic empowerment.” There are currently 33,000 Soroptimist in 20 different countries, which is ever growing, supporting global and locally based projects that both girls and women of any age reap benefits from.

The goal of If She Can Dream, She Can Be it is “To have Mentors and Mentees, Group Leaders, Teachers, Mothers and Daughters come together to participate in an EXCITING and FUN-FILLED day of career focused activities and professional speakers. Designed specifically for girls in secondary school (14-18), however girls of all ages are welcome.” The program filled with these fun activities is supposed to spark career ideas through local resources found around the community, so that the girls are able to dream and achieve as big as they could possibly desire. 

- Advertisement -

On March 25th, 2017, Soroptimist International of Coronado, Lemon Grove, North San Diego, and San Diego present this year’s workshop. It will consist of hearing from professionals and other speakers on topics such as balancing stress, creating achievable goals, exploring careers, and so many more. At the end of the day, the main idea to go home with is that all girls need to strive for their full potential and show the world what they are truly made up of.

Interested in the event and want to find out more? Contact Soroptimist of Coronado or visit the event’s Facebook page or EventBrite ticket site.

- Advertisement -

-----
Do You Value The Coronado Times?
Become a Paid Supporter

Keep it civil. Comments may be removed or closed if they violate Terms of Service.

Avatar
Grace Sylvester
Grace is currently a senior at Coronado High School, she has moved to and from Coronado several times due to her mother being a captain in the Navy. Grace is currently enrolled in the CoSA musical theatre conservatory. the head photographer for the school newspaper, and works as a hostess at Clayton's Coffee Shop.Grace plans on majoring in Vocal Performance and Journalism when she attends university, and hopefully will become an Investigative Journalist for a well known news system.Have news to share? Send tips, story ideas or letters to the editor to: manager@ecoronado.com

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

Action Plan on Racism vs Insulated and Isolated White Community

Submitted by Pam WilsonCoronado Unified intends to present its Action Plan on Racism at their August 13 board meeting. This plan is in response...

Money Shamefully Spent

Submitted by Barry AustinAm I the only one to feel outraged that the Mayor and Council, under cover of restricted public involvement, gave away...

More Questions Than Answers

Submitted by Carolyn RogersonThere are days when I cannot believe the vitriol to be read on the pages of Coronado publications or online. I...

Tim Rohan Announces Candidacy for City Council

Submitted by Tim RohanEvents of the past few weeks have spurred me into action. I see a Council that is out of touch with...

NEW STORIES

Jack and Grace Creatively Raise Funds for CSF During Pandemic

Coronado kids Jack and Grace Elardo began their business Jack and Grace's Pop-Up Stand four years ago when they were in 3rd and 4th...

Local Voices: Coronado Picture-Perfect from the Outside; Not Always So Pretty for a Person of Color

Esme Ronis knew that she was different from the rest of her family. Born in La Paz, Mexico, and adopted by a white family,...

Sue Tushingham McNary (1937-2020)

Sue Tushingham McNary, an internationally renowned artist, mother, mother-in-law, grandmother, great grandmother, and loyal friend, passed away peacefully on Monday morning, August 3, 2020,...

Grand Caribe Shoreline Park Temporarily Closed by Port of San Diego

Prioritizing public health, and in alignment with COVID-19 State and County public health orders, Grand Caribe Shoreline Park in the Coronado Cays will be...