Thursday, March 28, 2024

Teacher Spotlight: Coronado’s Own Genius, Mr. Bill Lemei

As graduation approaches, students are taking the time to think about not only their future, but who they are leaving behind, and not just in the sense of family and friends. Teachers have some of the biggest impacts on a student’s life, whether their class was loved or hated, and they are often who students miss the most when reminiscing about high school. So, for students past, present and future, here we shine a Coronado teacher spotlight on William Lemei.

Mr. Lemei has been a Coronado resident since his early years, and since 2000 has taught Algebra II Trigonometry Honors with pride, and now Advanced Placement Physics. I was lucky enough to sit down with Mr. Lemei and ask him a few questions, to share with those that want to know what he’s been up to.

When did you start teaching at CHS and why?

I began teaching at CHS in the fall of 2000, a few months before my 53rd birthday. My wife Carol and I sold our commercial printing business a few years before, and teaching seemed the most useful and the most fun profession I could imagine myself doing.

What have CHS and the students done for you?

CHS students have been some of the best teachers I have had in my life. Some of my best friends on the planet work with me at CHS. Every year my students and my colleagues help me grow, and inspire me to keep my mind and my heart open. I love coming to work every day.

Do you believe you have made an impact on not only the students, but the school as a whole?

I believe that every teacher and every student makes an impact on the school as a whole. The whole is literally the sum of its parts. And I believe that Newton’s Second Law guarantees that every action any of us makes produces a corresponding response elsewhere.

What does your family think of your job? 

They love my job because I love my job; but they wish I could find a way to do it without compromising my standards or my students’ learning outcomes, without working seven days a week.

Do you do anything outside of teaching at CHS? (hobbies, travels, other jobs?)

Teaching is my hobby, my profession, my creative outlet, my passion.

Do you have a favorite year you have taught? Why?

Only the years between 2000 and 2017.

Any news you would like to share with Alumni?

This is the first year since I joined the faculty at CHS that I have not taught any math classes. This year I teach four sections of AP Physics 1 and one section of AP Physics 2. And I miss you all!

Finally, If there is anything you would like to share with Coronado, what is it? 

I graduated from CHS in 1965 and I live in Coronado today. I know from both sides of the process how exceptional this school is and I know from both sides how vital this school is to maintaining the community of Coronado. I hope we can all work together to continue to nourish and enrich this precious resource.  

Grace Sylvester
Grace Sylvester
Grace is currently a senior at Coronado High School, she has moved to and from Coronado several times due to her mother being a captain in the Navy. Grace is currently enrolled in the CoSA musical theatre conservatory. the head photographer for the school newspaper, and works as a hostess at Clayton's Coffee Shop.Grace plans on majoring in Vocal Performance and Journalism when she attends university, and hopefully will become an Investigative Journalist for a well known news system.Have news to share? Send tips, story ideas or letters to the editor to: [email protected]

More Local News