Sunday, August 9, 2020

Teacher Spotlight: Coronado’s Own Genius, Mr. Bill Lemei

As graduation approaches, students are taking the time to think about not only their future, but who they are leaving behind, and not just in the sense of family and friends. Teachers have some of the biggest impacts on a student’s life, whether their class was loved or hated, and they are often who students miss the most when reminiscing about high school. So, for students past, present and future, here we shine a Coronado teacher spotlight on William Lemei.

- Advertisement -

Mr. Lemei has been a Coronado resident since his early years, and since 2000 has taught Algebra II Trigonometry Honors with pride, and now Advanced Placement Physics. I was lucky enough to sit down with Mr. Lemei and ask him a few questions, to share with those that want to know what he’s been up to.

When did you start teaching at CHS and why?

I began teaching at CHS in the fall of 2000, a few months before my 53rd birthday. My wife Carol and I sold our commercial printing business a few years before, and teaching seemed the most useful and the most fun profession I could imagine myself doing.

What have CHS and the students done for you?

- Advertisement -

CHS students have been some of the best teachers I have had in my life. Some of my best friends on the planet work with me at CHS. Every year my students and my colleagues help me grow, and inspire me to keep my mind and my heart open. I love coming to work every day.

Do you believe you have made an impact on not only the students, but the school as a whole?

I believe that every teacher and every student makes an impact on the school as a whole. The whole is literally the sum of its parts. And I believe that Newton’s Second Law guarantees that every action any of us makes produces a corresponding response elsewhere.

What does your family think of your job? 

They love my job because I love my job; but they wish I could find a way to do it without compromising my standards or my students’ learning outcomes, without working seven days a week.

Do you do anything outside of teaching at CHS? (hobbies, travels, other jobs?)

Teaching is my hobby, my profession, my creative outlet, my passion.

Do you have a favorite year you have taught? Why?

Only the years between 2000 and 2017.

Any news you would like to share with Alumni?

This is the first year since I joined the faculty at CHS that I have not taught any math classes. This year I teach four sections of AP Physics 1 and one section of AP Physics 2. And I miss you all!

Finally, If there is anything you would like to share with Coronado, what is it? 

I graduated from CHS in 1965 and I live in Coronado today. I know from both sides of the process how exceptional this school is and I know from both sides how vital this school is to maintaining the community of Coronado. I hope we can all work together to continue to nourish and enrich this precious resource.  

-----
Do You Value The Coronado Times?
Become a Paid Supporter

Keep it civil. Comments may be removed or closed if they violate Terms of Service.

Avatar
Grace Sylvester
Grace is currently a senior at Coronado High School, she has moved to and from Coronado several times due to her mother being a captain in the Navy. Grace is currently enrolled in the CoSA musical theatre conservatory. the head photographer for the school newspaper, and works as a hostess at Clayton's Coffee Shop.Grace plans on majoring in Vocal Performance and Journalism when she attends university, and hopefully will become an Investigative Journalist for a well known news system.Have news to share? Send tips, story ideas or letters to the editor to: manager@ecoronado.com

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

Action Plan on Racism vs Insulated and Isolated White Community

Submitted by Pam WilsonCoronado Unified intends to present its Action Plan on Racism at their August 13 board meeting. This plan is in response...

Money Shamefully Spent

Submitted by Barry AustinAm I the only one to feel outraged that the Mayor and Council, under cover of restricted public involvement, gave away...

More Questions Than Answers

Submitted by Carolyn RogersonThere are days when I cannot believe the vitriol to be read on the pages of Coronado publications or online. I...

Tim Rohan Announces Candidacy for City Council

Submitted by Tim RohanEvents of the past few weeks have spurred me into action. I see a Council that is out of touch with...

NEW STORIES

Jack and Grace Creatively Raise Funds for CSF During Pandemic

Coronado kids Jack and Grace Elardo began their business Jack and Grace's Pop-Up Stand four years ago when they were in 3rd and 4th...

Local Voices: Coronado Picture-Perfect from the Outside; Not Always So Pretty for a Person of Color

Esme Ronis knew that she was different from the rest of her family. Born in La Paz, Mexico, and adopted by a white family,...

Sue Tushingham McNary (1937-2020)

Sue Tushingham McNary, an internationally renowned artist, mother, mother-in-law, grandmother, great grandmother, and loyal friend, passed away peacefully on Monday morning, August 3, 2020,...

Grand Caribe Shoreline Park Temporarily Closed by Port of San Diego

Prioritizing public health, and in alignment with COVID-19 State and County public health orders, Grand Caribe Shoreline Park in the Coronado Cays will be...