Golf: CHS Boys Take First Win of the Season, 213-214

Freshman Easton Phillips drives the ball to finish the course with a score of 39 strokes. Photo by Ana de la Lama

Last Tuesday, the Islander Boys’ Golf team played their first match of the season at home against Olympian High School. This year’s team has two new freshmen who in this first match were Coronado’s two lowest scorers. Jake McLaughlin and Easton Philips each finished nine holes in 39 strokes, followed by senior Saul Chacon, who finished in 40. On the latter half of the scorecard, juniors Javier Hernandez and Matt Schnapauff finished with respective scores of 47 and 48 strokes. Junior Gino Frederick followed, finishing in 51 strokes. After the scores were tallied, the Islanders took the victory by a one-point margin, 213-214, proving that every stroke counts. “A close win over a very strong team,” comments Coach Stuart Gordon. “Being the first match with little time to practice because of the weather, it bodes well for the rest of the season.”

Senior Saul Chacon drives the ball against Olympian High School to win 213-214. Photo by Ana de la Lama

Congratulation to the Islanders on their first win of the season!

Upcoming Match:

Wednesday, February 20 vs. Francis Parker School at the Coronado Municipal Golf Course @ 3:15 PM

Get breaking Coronado news in your inbox >> SUBSCRIBE

Avatar
Andres is a student at Coronado High School. He was a part of the KCMS Broadcast Journalism program in middle school, giving him experience in the fields of both filmmaking and news coverage. Now writing for the high school newspaper and The Coronado Times, Andres aspires to become a writer in the future and will study philosophy and creative writing after he graduates. Have news to share? Send tips, story ideas or letters to the editor to: manager@coronadotimes.com