(Video shot by Michelle Wiese Jenkins at Coronado High School on 11/8/17)
It’s going to be a busy Veterans Day weekend in Coronado with several special events scheduled. Residents should expect an increase in pedestrian and vehicle traffic over the three-day holiday weekend. Here’s a rundown of each event and what to expect:
- The Coronado Island Film Festival has events scheduled from November 9-12 throughout town. Organizers have contracted with Old Town Trolley to shuttle participants between venues. Shuttle stops will be marked with a sidewalk decal. On Saturday, November 11, from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., the event will have a helicopter displayed on a flatbed truck outside of Coronado High School parked on the curb. It should not impact traffic.
- On Saturday, November 11, the inaugural Pedal the Cause event will pass through Coronado but will begin and end at Petco Park in downtown San Diego. The bicycle event is put on by the San Diego Padres and expects about 2,500 participants. Participants will ride over on the bridge, reconfigured to accommodate bicyclists and vehicles, then take Glorietta Boulevard to the bike path and proceed to Imperial Beach, around the bay, ending at Petco Park. The bridge is anticipated to be clear of riders before 9 a.m.
- On Sunday, November 12, the 18th annual Silver Strand Half Marathon with an expected 3,000 runners will begin at 7 a.m. at Sunset Park. Notification signs will be posted in areas impacted by the event, and residents will receive notification letters. Runners will leave Sunset Park and travel south on Ocean Boulevard to state Route 75, into Imperial Beach, where the race ends. Coronado Police will shut down the southbound lanes of SR-75 at 6:30 a.m. and temporarily reduce the speed limit. Traffic is expected to return to its normal configuration and all equipment will be removed by 12:30 p.m.
- The City is co-hosting the Wounded Warrior Reception on Sunday November 12, at 3 p.m., at Maretalia Ristorante, 1300 Orange Ave. Iraq War triple amputee Bryan Anderson will speak and be presented a key to the City of Coronado. To attend the reception, register here.
- Coronado City Amateur Golf Tournament at the Golf Course, 2000 Visalia Row, on Saturday and Sunday, November 11-12. Tee times for the open and senior championship tourney will start between 7 and 9 a.m. both days. Expect extra traffic in the area both days.
- The Navy is hosting “Naval Air Station North Island Centennial Celebration – Saluting a Century of Service” at the base on Saturday, November 11, Veterans Day. Residents near NASNI can expect traffic entering the base from 9 to 11 a.m. and leaving at about 4:30 p.m. Only the gates on Third Street, for entering, and Fourth Street, exiting, will be open.
Source: City Manager’s Weekly Update