Sunday, October 25, 2020
Array

Coronado Schools Celebrate April’s “Month of the Military Child” with Reading, Art and Puppet Performances

In an effort to recognize the service and personal sacrifice military children make, April has been designated as the Month of the Military Child. In 1986, then Secretary of Defense Caspar W. Weinberger recognized that military family members, especially military kids, were an integral part of a service member’s ability to perform his or her duties at home and abroad.

- Advertisement -

With Coronado’s close connection to the military, Village Elementary and Silver Strand Elementary schools have enacted a variety of programs to support and honor our local military kids.

Silver Strand Elementary’s 2015 theme is “Day and Night, Our Love is Tight!” with a focus on the many ways military families keep their love strong during times of separation. The school’s newest endeavor is the partnership with United Though Reading (UTR), making Silver Strand Elementary the first school to implement the program. The program offers military parents who are deployed or getting ready to deploy the opportunity to film themselves reading a book and recording messages to their children. The filming, which is private, takes place in Silver Strand’s Military Connections room. The United Through Reading program helps create everyday moments throughout separations and also establishes children’s literacy skills and a love of reading. Silver Strand will also implement this program in reverse, allowing children to read to their parents as a celebration of reaching their reading milestones.

- Advertisement -

Silver Strand’s military-based environmental club, Green Team, is also conducting several decorating projects. In addition, Silver Shore News will be distributing the first edition of the military student-led publication for the year. Other events and activities throughout the month include deployment-themed puppet shows performed by the Munch Bunch group, stories in the library about the power of love, weekly crafts and games at Military Kids Club, and the beginning of the Operation Pals session, an afterschool program designed after Operation Bigs to serve Kindergarten and First grade military kids.

Silver Strands 5th grade ambassadors also developed a welcome video for incoming military students. The purpose of the video is to welcome new students and relieve any fears children may have in moving to a new school. Additionally, all grade levels are participating in the making of a video to show their appreciation for all military parents.

- Advertisement -

Military spouses are also invited to attend the monthly Military Voyager Coffee, which is also held in the Military Connections Room. This month’s session, which is schedule for April 21st at 8:30 am, will focus on Healthy Family Communication.

Village Elementary School is also celebrating and honoring their military students for their contributions to their military families. Active duty parent volunteers will read a story and answer questions about military life to K, 1st and 2nd grade students during their library time. Visiting service members from various local commands as well as CMS students from the Student2Student club will join all grades each Thursday for fun lunchtime activities during Military Kids Club. Service members will also join grades 3-5 in their PE classes throughout the month.

Navy Region Southwest is hosting Rooftop Movie Night at the North Island Navy Lodge on April 24th where families are invited for a showing of Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. Free hot dogs, drinks and popcorn will be provided. The event is limited to the first 75 people to RSVP. Please contact Amiee Gillig, School Liaison Officer, at amiee.gillig@navy.mil for more information. On April 18th, a My Sailor, My Hero coloring event will take place at the North Island Navy Exchange from 12-2 pm with kids activities, coloring, crafts and light refreshments.

While April takes a special focus on the triumphs and challenges of being a military family, the need for resources and support lasts the whole year through. Military families who are preparing for an upcoming deployment, who have recently transferred, are caring for a sick child or other unique circumstances are eligible for assistance with child care each month through the Navy’s Child and Youth Programs. “Give Parents a Break” offers 16 hours per month of hourly childcare based on eligibility and availability. For more information, please visit http://navylifesw.com/sandiego/families/cyp/parentinformation/.

Mary Douglas
Staff Writer
eCoronado.com
Have a story you want to share? Contact us.

-----
Do You Value Local News?
Become a Paid Supporter

Keep it civil. Comments may be removed or closed if they violate Terms of Service.

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

Inside the Registrar of Voters Office

Submitted by Brad GerbelLast week, I spent the afternoon at the San Diego County Registrar of Voters (“ROV”) office in Kearny Mesa as an...

Figures Don’t Lie

Submitted by J. Fitzgerald KemmettWe would all think the world is coming to an end with the number of Covid-19 cases and deaths dominating...

In support of Nick Kato for Coronado School Board

Submitted by Sherry Hughes RichterI'm writing in support of Nick Kato for Coronado School Board. As a product of Coronado schools and a member of a...

Nick Kato for CUSD School Board: Letters of Support

Submitted by Nick KatoHello Coronado, Nick Kato here. This School Board election has been an amazing experience and I’ve learned so much over the...

NEW STORIES

City Council Discusses New LPR Parking Protocol, Special Event Permits, Trees & More

This week’s city council meeting started off with two well-deserved ceremonial presentations and an impressive student presentation by the Coronado Middle School Robotics Team....

New Businesses Will Soon Fill Vacant Spaces in Coronado

This year has been one of more downs than ups for businesses and restaurants in Coronado (and worldwide) and that has created quite a...

Coach Hine’s Message to Trump and Biden Supporters Post Election (Video)

Coach Hines continues to encourage and publish bite-size tweets to his almost 50,000 followers.  Earlier today, he shared his views on how to react...

Welcoming Baby Mely in a Pandemic

When news of the pandemic hit, I was six weeks pregnant. Never did I imagine that I would deliver my baby while the world...

CUSD Board Meeting: Phase 3 Reopening, Equity Committee Formation and Upcoming Election

The Coronado Unified District School Board met on Thursday, October 15 at 4 pm at the district offices located at 201 Sixth Street. Community...