Soccer: CHS Girls Finish Season With a Tie, Advance to CIF Playoffs

Last Wednesday, the Islander Girls’ Soccer team traveled to San Diego High School for the final game of the season. Having previously lost to them 0-1 this season, Coronado knew they were in for a tough match. Junior Sydney Neibert played a “night in goal that we will all remember with sixteen saves,” says Coach Mike Costaglio. “Her performance was truly special.” This kept San Diego from scoring but one penalty kick goal on Coronado. Sophomore Gracie Gehler responded with a thirty-yard free kick, the only goal for the Islanders. The score resulted in a 1-1 tie to conclude the season.

The team will now continue on (with a 9-2-6 season record) to CIF Division-III Playoffs as the No. 3 Seed.

Upcoming Game:

Saturday, February 16 vs. Mira Mesa/El Capitan High School @ 5 PM (Location TBD)

-Advertisement-
Get breaking Coronado news in your inbox >> SUBSCRIBE

Avatar
Andres is a student at Coronado High School. He was a part of the KCMS Broadcast Journalism program in middle school, giving him experience in the fields of both filmmaking and news coverage. Now writing for the high school newspaper and The Coronado Times, Andres aspires to become a writer in the future and will study philosophy and creative writing after he graduates. Have news to share? Send tips, story ideas or letters to the editor to: manager@coronadotimes.com