Over 130 years of existence creates a lot of memories! While renovating the library at St. Paul’s United Methodist Church, several historical documents were uncovered which the church was happy to donate to the Coronado Historical Association. Some of the documents had been in the church’s “cornerstone capsule” dating back to when St. Paul’s was first constructed in 1887. The church, along with the cornerstone capsule, was moved in 1917 to make way for the building of the high school, and new documents were added at that time. The capsule was then emptied in 1963, when the current sanctuary was built.
The church also donated Methodist-specific documents, such as an area newsletter from the early 1900s, to a denominational archivist located in Los Angeles.