The iconic Hotel del Coronado, part of Curio Collection by Hilton, has announced its highly anticipated holiday program, an annual tradition among locals and visitors alike. This holiday season, The Del will transform into a winter wonderland Frosted by the Sea with thousands of sparkling lights adorning the hotel’s signature red turrets. The 2022 holiday season also heralds the return of The Del’s famed two-story Christmas tree in the hotel’s restored lobby, plus a new 22-foot ocean-themed tree at Southpointe Lawn. The spectacular oceanfront ice rink at Skating by the Sea® will also return from Nov. 17 to Jan. 1, with a portion of proceeds once again benefitting Make-A-Wish® San Diego. The holiday season at The Del will be complete with lavish holiday dining experiences, photos with Santa, holiday movies, and more.
The following activities, food and beverage offerings, celebratory events and packages will be available throughout the 2022 holiday season:
- Seaside Holiday Package (Nov. 17-Jan. 1, 2023) – Enjoy the holiday season “Frosted by the Sea” as the Hotel del Coronado dons its most festive trappings of the year this season. The Seaside Holiday Package includes a $150 daily resort credit with each resort room booking (or a $200 daily resort credit for guests staying at Shore House or Beach Village). The daily credit can be used toward dining or activities, including one of The Del’s holiday-themed events (excluding Skating by the Sea).
- Skating by the Sea (Nov. 17-Jan. 1, 2023) – Kicking off the week before Thanksgiving, California’s most recognizable and scenic ice rink opens, welcoming skaters of all ages to take to the ice with an incomparable backdrop of stunning Pacific Ocean and The Del’s iconic red turret, on the hotel’s Windsor Lawn. A portion of the Skating by the Sea proceeds will once again benefit Make-A-Wish® San Diego. Tickets are $40 per person for general admission and $35 per person for hotel guests and members; each Skating by the Sea session is 90 minutes.
- Frostbite – A Place to Chill (Nov. 17-Jan. 1, 2023) – Frostbite offers the best seat in the house. Cozy fire pits and luxury lounges trim the ice rink on an elevated platform where guests can relax with spectacular skating and sunset views while sipping holiday drinks and nibbling gourmet bites. Guests are sure to enjoy the festive rink-side spectacle of lights, laughter and holiday fun. Each individual lounge area will seat up to six people and can be reserved for 90 minutes with a required food and beverage minimum per person.
- NEW Beachside Igloos (Nov. 17-Jan. 1, 2023) – Guests and locals can enjoy a unique Beachside Igloo featuring a cozy living room that comfortably accommodates up to six guests. The experience also includes a roaring fire pit, ingredients for premium s’mores, and a dedicated server ready to deliver holiday-themed libations and snacks, plus two Hotel del Coronado blankets. Each private Beachside Igloo is $400 and can be reserved for two hours.
- “At First Light” Lightshow Spectacular (Nov. 17-Jan. 1, 2023) – Enhanced for 2022, the grove of towering Norfolk Island Pines on the Founders Lawn sets the scene for an even more dynamic light show orchestrated to music. Showcased is the Norfolk Pine originally made famous in 1904 as the world’s first electrically lit outdoor Christmas tree. The complimentary 11-minute show will take place every 30 minutes from 5-9 p.m. nightly, and is a brilliant and ethereal experience that will captivate guests with a finale of snow flurries.
- Thanksgiving Dinner (Nov. 24) – Give thanks and celebrate with family and friends at an exquisite Thanksgiving dinner set in the beautiful new Southpointe Ballroom, located on the south end of the resort. This will be the first opportunity for guests to see this grand new space, which is now the hotel’s largest event venue. The elegant buffet will be a lavish feast with all of the trimmings, and live musical entertainment. Early bird pricing (Before Nov 15) is $205 for adults, $100 for children 4-10, plus tax and fees. Children 3 and under are complimentary.
- Holiday Movies on the Beach (Select Dates, Oct. 30- Dec. 31) – Snuggle up at this theater under the stars with a selection of holiday family classics including “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation,” “Home Alone” and more. Guests can upgrade their experience to include a private bonfire with s’mores and plush daybed. Reservations are required. Prices range $25 – $350.
- Holiday Festival (Dec. 7) – Join The Del for its annual community Holiday Festival. Festivities include Skating by the Sea®, photos with St. Nick, and performances by Coronado school children. This year will also include a special “skydiving Santa” parachuting in to join the festivities –and a fireworks show- a high-flying start to the holiday season.
- Jingle Roast (Dec. 17-24) – Private roasts at The Del are a longstanding tradition, but come December, the roast experience gets a sprinkle of holiday magic as guests are given their own Santa hat to snuggle around the fire and roast holiday-themed s’mores. Reservations are required, with one pit accommodating up to 10 guests. Pricing is $230 for the one hour experience.
- Photos with Santa (Select Dates, Dec. 9-24) – Guests of all ages can capture a classic photo with Old St. Nick and receive a professionally printed image. Pricing is $30 per image.
- Elf Deliveries (Select Dates, Dec. 9-24) – To get children in the holiday spirit, Santa’s elves deliver personalized themed bags to guest rooms* filled with festive goodies, a stuffed animal and a book signed by Santa. Pricing is $75 per child. * Available to overnight hotel guests only.
- Gingerbread Houses (Select Dates, Dec. 17-24) – Decorate festive Gingerbread Houses in the stunning Coronet Room. A candy bar full of festive decorations and holiday treats makes for the perfect sugary accessories to assemble the gingerbread house of any child’s wildest dreams. Pricing is $65 per gingerbread house.
- Christmas Eve Dinner (Dec. 24) – Celebrate Christmas Eve in the spectacular Crown and Coronet Room with a lavish festive spread, full of traditional favorites and culinary delights. With Skating by the Sea®, Frostbite and photos with Santa to match, Christmas Eve at The Del is the ultimate destination to get in the holiday spirit. Pricing is $185 for adults, $100 for children, complimentary for children 3 and under.
- Christmas Day Dinner (Dec. 25): Merry Christmas, from the Hotel del Coronado family to yours. The Del welcomes guests to feast with loved ones in the spectacular Crown Room and Coronet Room, where a festive spread full of traditional favorites and sweet treats awaits. Pricing is $185 for adults, $100 for children, complimentary for children 3 and under.
All holiday events are by reservation only and must be prepaid to confirm. Pricing does not include additional tax, service charges or gratuity. Please visit hoteldel.com or call 619-522-8100 to book.
All images courtesy of Hotel del Coronado