Soccer: CHS Girls Capture Two Easy Wins

Freshman Riley McGrath steals the ball from Clairemont High School to win 2-0. Photo by Ana de la Lama

Last Wednesday, the Islander Girls’ Varsity Soccer team hosted Clairemont High School for a “solid defensive effort,” comments Coach Mike Costaglio. With two assists from freshmen Zoe Watson and Riley McGrath, Coronado scored two goals against Clairemont, made by senior Madison Shanks and sophomore Gracie Gehler. Junior Sydney Neibert, who normally starts as a forward, was put in as goalkeeper and effectively kept her opponents out of the goal to win the match 2-0.

On Friday, the Islanders played away against Lincoln High School for the second time this season. Two weeks ago, Coronado defeated Lincoln in a 5-0 game, leaving Lincoln scoreless. Although goalkeeper Cadence Palmer had four saves, her opponents were able to get one goal by her. On the offensive side, sophomore Julia Hinz and junior Sydney Neibert each scored a goal, along with seniors Madison Shanks, Genette Deel, and Ashlyn Heintzelman. “Although Lincoln has had a tough season in both of our games, Lincoln played to win the entirety of both matches,” shares Coach Costaglio. The final score read 5-1.

Upcoming Match:

Friday, February 1 vs. Mira Mesa High School on Niedermeyer Field @ 5:15 PM

Get breaking Coronado news in your inbox >> SUBSCRIBE

Andres is a student at Coronado High School. He was a part of the KCMS Broadcast Journalism program in middle school, giving him experience in the fields of both filmmaking and news coverage. Now writing for the high school newspaper and The Coronado Times, Andres aspires to become a writer in the future and will study philosophy and creative writing after he graduates. Have news to share? Send tips, story ideas or letters to the editor to: manager@coronadotimes.com