Submitted by Vince Flynn
- BECAUSE we were living here when I was born at Mercy Hospital, 77 years ago. After fighting in WWll and moving around for 6 years, my family came right back to the town we all love, Coronado.
- BECAUSE by then I began to appreciate the beach, the bay, the ocean and all of the water sports that come with them. I became very good at beachcombing, beach volleyball, catching giant bat rays in the bay, sailing and kayaking in the bay, surfing and most of all skin diving in the ocean. Coronado has all of these and then some.
- BECAUSE I made so many good friends from the second grade on through Coronado High School. One of those friends was our high school vice principal who taught me how to dive for lobsters after he learned the sport from my older brothers and after he was a combatant on Iwo Jima during WWll.
- BECAUSE the high school friends I made in the class of 1956 are still my friends after we have all grown up, raised families and are now retired from our careers.
- BECAUSE Coronado was and to a lesser extent, still is, isolated from the big city of San Diego and we can retreat home anytime we please.
- BECAUSE no matter where I traveled in the world, Coronado has the best weather and always will have.
- BECAUSE Coronado is a crossroads of the world, especially the Navy world, there are so many interesting and varied people that keep moving here to work and to retire. These same people bring tales and talents from their careers that contribute to the very fabric of Coronado and keep it strong and vibrant.
- BECAUSE Coronado has recognized the value of the arts and has brought CoSA to our little Island.
- BECAUSE Coronado recognizes that bicycling was around before there were cars and promotes non polluting transportation as a way of life.
- BECAUSE our City leaders are responsible and will listen to the citizens.
- Most of all BECAUSE Coronado is but a cog in the wheel of this gigantic free country of ours and plays a big part in its success.