COVID-19 in San Diego:
Cases & Deaths (Updated Daily)
Sunday, March 29, 2020

COVID-19 in San Diego: Cases & Deaths (Updated Daily)

KCMS Behind the Scenes – a Peek at Coronado Middle School’s Student-Run News Broadcast

------
-----

What is KCMS and who participates?

KCMS is Coronado Middle School’s very own student-run news program that provides CMS students and faculty with campus-related news and information. The KCMS program was first implemented eleven years ago but ran only for a few years. This year, KCMS is back with more force than ever.

The program is taught by Amy Steward, who oversees the broadcast and writes the daily script. Amy was a fifth-grade teacher at Village Elementary until last year, and now teaches KCMS, tech wheel, Coronado careers opportunity (CoCO), yearbook, and digital media classes at CMS. KCMS is offered as a leadership class, but is quite exclusive and not just anyone is admitted – to be considered, students must submit an application and essay, create a video and/or script, and be recommended by teachers. Interviews for applicants may take place in the future as well. The class currently has 27 students and meets thirty minutes before first period every school day.

Amy in the studio

What is a daily KCMS news broadcast like?

The daily KCMS news segment is simulcast live throughout the school for students and teachers to watch during homeroom. Each show begins with the Pledge of Allegiance and is followed by a 4-5 minute news segment that provides campus-related information. Amy also explains that local community news is becoming incorporated more frequently, and that she hopes to regularly include a “world issue” segment in the future. They also aim to have one or two guests (like the school’s counselors or other students) per day.
And KCMS is no simple operation – like any news program you might watch on TV, KCMS has news anchors, cameramen, various directors, and people in charge of audio, teleprompting, and the like. The studio itself boasts a green screen, three high-quality cameras, teleprompter, a testing room (pictured below), and massive light fixtures overhead. The students also have matching “KCMS”-emblazoned polo shirts, which each member wears proudly on and off camera. Amy assures me that the students work from the minute they get to class until first period’s bell rings. The students get going immediately when they arrive, get the cameras and equipment rolling, receive and peruse scripts, and thoroughly prepare before going live.

Getting technical behind the scenes

What do the students think about KCMS?
KCMS member Zach Allen says, “I enjoy being able to produce the live broadcast every day at the school. I love all the changes that have been made to make it more professional. I love producing news packages so we can deliver the news to our students.”

Another member, Holden Hollenbeck, includes, “I love all parts about KCMS. I love having a daily live broadcast and airing news packages we produce ourselves.”
Amy explains that the students take KCMS and their on-screen roles very seriously, as the live broadcast allows little room for error. Though the students are only seventh and eighth graders, Amy tells me that they are a very professional group, and many have even started to consider broadcast journalism as a career path.

Where can non-CMS students view the KCMS news footage?

Though there is currently no KCMS footage on the web, they have just begun to archive the episodes. They’ll be posting their filmed news segments to their YouTube channel in the near future, so anyone can access the footage and stay updated with CMS news. KCMS is even becoming more involved with eCoronado and will be posting videos here, so stay tuned!

Check out the clip of the KCMS “staff” hard at work and more studio photos below:

Have an interesting story or newsworthy event you’d like to see on eCoronado.com? Contact me at mdwailee@gmail.com

-----
Breaking Coronado News >> SUBSCRIBE

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

Good News in the Virus Front

Submitted by Daron A. Case, Esq. With the COVID-19 pandemic and related statewide lockdown in place, economies are getting hammered on a national, state and...

Support All Local Coronado Businesses

Written by Steve AlbertWe have been doing an AMAZING job supporting our local restaurants, so let's keep that energy going for our local retail...

Free Summer Shuttle Service for Cays?

Submitted by Daron A. Case, Esq.Honorable Mayor & Council,Please remove item 5c (free summer shuttle program) from the consent calendar for this afternoon's City...

Take Mexico to The Hague for Violation of International Treaty

Submitted by Baron Von Partlow, Leon Benham, Lance Rodgers, Daron A. Case, Esq.February 28, 2020President Donald J. Trump The White House 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W. Washington, DC 20500Subject: Take Mexico to...

NEW STORIES

First Coronado COVID-19 Case Confirmed by County of San Diego

The County of San Diego has reported the first case of Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Coronado. The county updates daily its list of cases...

New Chicano Park Mural Focuses on Immigration

Chicano Park, the vibrantly painted park under the Coronado Bridge, is adding a new mural to its impressive visual collection. The project, headed by...

San Diego Man in 20s Dies from Coronavirus – Brings County Total to Six

Three more San Diegans have died from complications of COVID-19, bringing the region’s total to six, the County Health and Human Services Agency announced...

Local Heroes: People Helping People During the Coronavirus Crisis

I’ve always loved this quote from Mr. Rogers. “When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother...

Coronado’s Talent Winner – 11 Year Old Bobby Latona (Video)

We invite you to take just three minutes... turn off the tv, gather your family, and experience an 11 year old Coronado boy giving...