CHS Boys’ Basketball Defeats San Diego Academy at Home, 58-36

The Varsity team today at practice in preparation for Friday’s game. Photo by Sean O’Connor

The boys’ varsity basketball team kicked off their season on December 2 with a win against San Diego Academy. Playing in their home gym, Coronado led their opponents by a two-point margin at the end of the first half. “We could not get into any flow on offense after a sloppy first half,” said Coach Laaperi. “We turned up the pressure in the third quarter which led to some easy baskets and loosened up the game.” By the end of the third quarter, a 19-17 game turned into a 41-23 game.

Junior Ryan Sauter led the team in three-pointers, making five out of the nine attempts. He also led the team in points, scoring a total of 16 points, along with five rebounds, four steals, and one block. Junior Josef Perez led the team in offensive rebounds, with seven total rebounds and three steals. Other top scorers were Caden Gentry (Junior) and team captain Bruen Roulier. Upon reflection of the game, Coach Laaperi said, “We need to play better for 32 minutes, but it was encouraging to see the focus in the second half.”

Come out for another exciting game this Friday against Sweetwater High School in the CHS gym.

Upcoming Game:

Friday, December 8 vs. Sweetwater High School @ 6:30 PM (Home)

Get breaking Coronado news in your inbox >> SUBSCRIBE
SHARE

Andres is a student at Coronado High School. He was a part of the KCMS Broadcast Journalism program in middle school, giving him experience in the fields of both filmmaking and news coverage. Now writing for the high school newspaper and The Coronado Times, Andres aspires to become a writer in the future and will study philosophy and creative writing after he graduates. Have news to share? Send tips, story ideas or letters to the editor to: manager@coronadotimes.com