Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Community

Barbara Haines (1929-2020)

Coronado lost a very special friend last month. Barbara Haines died June 10, just a week before her 91st birthday. She was the oldest...

Pet of the Week: Wyatt, a Lab Retriever Mix for Adoption

Marshall in a New Chapter of Your Life with Wyatt! Fun and handsome Wyatt came to the Coronado Animal Care Facility when he was found...

Tracking COVID-19: 63 Total Coronado Cases Since March – Plus San Diego Stats

7/8/20 Editor's Note:  The County of San Diego confirmed that at least one death has been attributed to the 92118 zip code.  The story...

Dine-In Restaurants, Other Indoor Activities to Close

Beginning at midnight tonight, indoor dining at restaurants, bars, breweries and wineries will close for at least three weeks, after San Diego County remained...

IT’S NEVER 2L8 Helps Coronado Celebrate 4th of July

IT'S NEVER 2L8, a Coronado local band, got creative this 4th of July to help Coronado celebrate the busiest day of the year. The...

Historic City Council Accomplishments Improve Coronado

Submitted by Richard Bailey, Mayor, City of CoronadoAs we work collectively here in Coronado, throughout the region, and at the state level to address...

UPDATED: Ailing Bald Eagle Passes Away

UPDATED July 7, 2020 5:00pm From the San Diego Humane Society: It is with heavy hearts we share that the ailing bald eagle admitted to San...

Video: Navy Leap Frogs Parachute into Coronado

The Coronado Fourth of July Parade Committee and the Navy Leap Frogs brought some Independence Day thrills to Glorietta Bay with these "on-the-spot" landings...

4th of July Heritage

Submitted by Ch, Col (ret) Gary J. ZiccardiI am a Coronado resident since 2016 who served as Navy Surface Warfare Officer for 4 years,...

Coronado Psych: Coping with COVID-19

As a result of COVID-19, the importance of mental heath has come to the forefront as an important aspect of maintaining resilience within our...

CPD’s First Female Motor Officer Shines as Tough Example

The Coronado Police Department recently congratulated its first female motorcycle officer, or motor officer, after Samantha Gearlds trained for several months and passed a...

Marvin Heinze Encourages Us to “Mask Up Coronado”

Coronado City Council member Marvin Heinze speaks about the very contagious coronavirus and how covering our face is one way we can help protect...
Advertisement

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

I am Conflicted About How and When to Reopen Public Schools

Submitted by Casey TanakaI am conflicted about how and when to reopen public schools. I cannot help but notice that stores like Vons and...

Il Fornaio Allowed to Take HALF the Bay Path in Front of Their Building?

Submitted by Mike BarnesThe other day as I walked towards the Ferry Landing, I noticed that Il Fornaio had been allowed to put small...

The Devastating Impact COVID-19 Has Had On My Life

Submitted by Michelle TalleyI'm writing with intentions to share insight into the one of many lives that have been heavily impacted by Covid. I'm...

Historic City Council Accomplishments Improve Coronado

Submitted by Richard Bailey, Mayor, City of CoronadoAs we work collectively here in Coronado, throughout the region, and at the state level to address...

NEW STORIES

Firefighters Enter 3rd Day of Battle Against Fire Aboard USS Bonhomme Richard

UPDATED July 15, 2020 9:15am - As of 6 am Pacific time July 15, firefighting teams continue operations on board USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD...

Five Restaurants Temporarily Close After Workers Test Positive for COVID-19

On Sunday, July 12, five additional (after three last week) Coronado restaurants announced temporary closures due to positive COVID-19 test results from staff. Night...

Coronado Based Crews Contribute to Firefighting Efforts on USS Bonhomme Richard

This article was updated at 2:30pm July 13 with a statement from the Coast Guard, and again at 8:15pm.Fed Fire continues to lead the...

Mobile Black Lives Matter Protest Shares Message in Coronado

A peaceful, mobile Black Lives Matter protest left downtown San Diego yesterday to pass through Coronado, traveling across the bridge and down Third Street...

USS Bonhomme Richard Evacuated After Shipboard Fire Pier-Side at Naval Base San Diego

Local, base and shipboard fire fighting teams responded to a fire aboard USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6), a Wasp-class Amphibious Assault Ship, while it was...